Sunday, June 15, 2014

Happy Father's Day, Dad!

My dad probably won't see this post, but don't worry, I wished him a Happy Father's Day personally. While thinking about my father today, it occurred to me that if it wasn't for him, this blog wouldn't exist. No, not for the obvious reason - that without Dad, there would be no me - but because he introduced me to wargaming. Indirectly.

When I was a kid in the 60's and 70's, my father built models; classic cars at first and then WW2 aircraft. So I built models, too, and we built some together. In the 70's Dad began collecting WW2 "militaria," mostly Luftwaffe medals, badges and uniforms. So I got the WW2 bug, and then became interested in military history, in general. He didn't collect for long, but he met some interesting people while collecting, and I got to meet some of them, too.

One of these interesting people, seeing my wide-eyed interest in WW2, GAVE me 4 Avalon Hill boardgames.





I couldn't get into D-Day, but I played the others over and over well into my high school years. And the rest, as they say, is history. 

Thanks, Dad!

2 comments:

  1. My dad had Afrika Korps and D-Day. Loved both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jamie. I played Afrika Korps the most. Not sure I ever won as the Germans but I sure tried! As I think about them now, they mostly played the same from the German view: attack, attack, attack, start to stall but keep pushing, attack, attack even though you're stalling. . . then overwhelmed by numbers. Sigh. I miss playing those games : )

    ReplyDelete